Time to call B.S.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome: constipation, diarrhea, urgent runs to the bathroom, 3 months pregnant food baby bloating, gas and pain are anything BUT normal. In our previous posts we have discussed some of the most common causes of IBS and some basics to help get you feeling better.
Personally, I believe that the more information we have, the better you will do. With that information you can create a logical plan to feel better. When you feel better you can work more effectively, spend better quality time with your family and spend less time feeling awful.
While every person is different, here are the 6 most common tests I recommend anyone with Irritable Bowel Syndrome consider:
- CBC with differential - to check for infections, low iron or vitamin B12, and overall immune system function.
- Ferritin & ESR - to check for low iron and inflammation which commonly cause fatigue or may indicate infections that should be investigated
- Thyroid Panel: TSH, free T3, free T4, anti-TPO and reverse T3 - this group of tests gives us a good idea how your thyroid gland is functioning. If the thyroid is not working optimally any of the symptoms commonly experienced in Irritable Bowel Syndrome can result. Frequently people with thyroid issues will have digestive issues. Ignoring half of the equation will not make you feel better!
- SIBO Hydrogen Breath Test - this test assesses hydrogen and methane gases produced by bacteria within the digestive tract. If the test shows elevated gases, you most likely have Small Intestinal Bowel Overgrowth - one of the most common causes of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
- Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis (with optional Parasitology) - *this is one of the most valuable tests you can do to really understand what is going on with your digestive system. This non-invasive test analyzes the bacteria, parasites, how you are breaking down your food and how efficiently your body is working. This test is my number one recommendation if other treatments have not worked.
When you are armed with the right information you can stop wasting time running between doctor's visits, trying expensive supplements that don't work and medications that create other nasty side effects. With the right information you can start feeling better.
If you are ready to start feeling better, please contact me to book your complimentary Health Discovery Session.